Vestry members are elected by the congregation at our annual meeting to serve a three-year term. The Vestry currently consists of nine members. (This number is set at the annual meeting.) At the first vestry meeting after the elections, the rector names the Senior Warden and the Vestry elects the Junior Warden(s), Treasurer and Clerk. Although the main function of a Vestry is to conduct the temporal activities, business, and financial affairs of the Parish, the Vestry also appoints and oversees committees, including: Finances, Planned Giving (Endowment Board), Stewardship, and Buildings & Grounds. The Vestry may also appoint ad hoc committees or teams to address particular needs or accomplish specific tasks. The Vestry normally meets the second Tuesday of every month except August, at 7pm in the parish hall. The Vestry has its annual retreat in January or February – in 2013 it is on the second weekend of February.
Vestry Members’ Responsibilities and Expectations
• Have a strong personal commitment to Jesus Christ and to carrying out His ministry in our community.
• Be open to guidance by the Holy Spirit and willing to use one’s spiritual gifts for leadership.
• Be an adult communicant in good standing of the Episcopal Church, regular in prayer and worship.
• Be a pledging member of the congregation who is a regular contributor to the parish budget.
• Be active in the life of the parish and willing to assume a greater leadership role.
• Be able to actively participate in one or more of the following areas: Stewardship, Finances, or Facilities, all of which may meet on a regular basis as well.
• Pray weekly, by name, for members of the congregation.
• Be able to serve for a three year term, unless fulfilling a seat opened due to a resignation.
• Participate in monthly vestry meetings (second Tuesday of each month at 7pm, except in August).
• Participate in the annual Vestry Retreat (in 2013 it is on the 2nd weekend of February, at Camp Huston).
• Complete Safeguarding God’s Children and Safeguarding God’s People training when available. Complete Authorization for Background Check.